Re: PCLinuxOS .93 Big Daddy? "The Full Monty", Says TuxMachines.org

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 22:14 \__

>> The same applies to Thunderbird and Firefox (e.g. keep one browser windows
>> or
>> a compose screen open to keep the runtime alive in memory). Surely, this
>> would be harder to digest for those who haven't embraced virtual
>> desktops*.
>> Our friends at Redmond like to keep people uninformed, unproductive and
>> underdeveloped.
>
>     In the case of e-mail apps, I usually keep them running all the time,
>     so
> that they keep checking for new e-mails. With FireFox/Opera, if I want to
> go to a page, I alt-tab into the browser, and if the current tab is
> something that I can throw away, I'll re-use it; otherwise I'll create a
> new tab. Once I'm done, I just alt-tab back to whatever it was I was doing,
> leaving the browser running in the background, with whatever page I had
> left there.
>
>     Occasionally, I'll open 200+ tabs on FireFox, after which FF seems to
> have trouble releasing the memory. If I see FF is taking up 200-500MB of
> RAM with only 2 tabs left open, I'll usually quit and restart it. I haven't
> tried opening 200+ tabs in Opera yet, so I don't know how well it handles
> that yet.

The major issue is the way tabs are laid out. I have been wanting a multi-row
tab support in Firefox, so that I can read parts of the page titles, as well
as see the icons, which at some stage 'leak' out of sight. I haven't found a
tabbed browsing extension that achieves this. If you know of some
workaround, please tell me. *smile* One option is to use a SessionSaver or
have multiple windows. But it's slow and messy (fragmented or
bandwidth-intensive)

Roy S. Schestowitz      | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
Cpu(s):  19.0% user,   2.7% system,   1.0% nice,  77.4% idle