Re: Puppy Linux

__/ [ pixturesk@xxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 24 August 2006 00:40 \__

> I am not of the computer generation so every computer learning
> experience is a challenge. I only have a P3, 600, 256 megs, Win98SE,
> Ultra Lite Cable internet, but have been experimenting with several
> live cd Linux distros. Ubuntu live cd is so slow on this computer but
> Puppy Linux has been a revelation. At 60 megs, Puppy live cd actually
> loads into ram, runs almost as quickly as Win98SE. Also, Puppy saves my
> settings, every time I run it on a 500 meg file + another 70 meg file
> on my "c" drive so nothing has to be re-configured + Puppy loads in
> about 30 sec. My version came with the Opera web browser + the capacity
> to install new software to that file on my "c" drive. No necessity, at
> this point, to permanently install Puppy on my "c" drive. I will
> continue to use Puppy as the way to learn more about Linux, in general.
> I urge folks to give it a try.

Hi,

You ought to be aware that the Live CD performs badly compared with an
installed version of Linux, especially if you have as 'little' as 256 MB of
RAM. I suppose you could have gone with other distributions like Opensuse or
Ubuntu as well (preferably GNOME-based). There is also persistent mode
(can't recall the exact name), which enables you to take all your files,
settings, and programs with you.

Good luck with Puppy!