Re: Linux's legal world after SCO

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2613492.TqhSxVDyQL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 04:39 \__

Oliver Wong wrote:

"John Bailo" <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:GJ6dnRvhz_uMtHbZnZ2dnUVZ_oednZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What kind of monsters are these people?

"During one of those last long nights working to deliver DOS 2.0 in
early 1983, I am told that Paul Allen heard Gates and Ballmer
discussing his health and talking about how to get his Microsoft
shares back if Allen were to die.

Maybe that?s just the sort of fiduciary discussion board members have
to have, but it didn?t go over well with Paul Allen, who never
returned to Microsoft, and over the next eight years, made huge
efforts to secure his wealth from the fate of Microsoft. "

I thought this was pretty standard.

Standard?

To oust the person who taught you how to use computers in High School?

This is human?

I concur. Oliver's analogy is not suitable. It's not a like-with-like comparison when the hypothesis is almost fictional. Here you talk about an already-ill man. And he's not just a business partner. Although Ballmer seems like a more cannibalistic person than Gates, Gates' behaviours, as people describe is 'offline' (i.e. not on stage) personality, makes this highly probable.

I guess (both of) you are reading more deeply between the lines than I am. I don't see any attempts to "oust" someone, nor to accelerate their death or anything like that. The way I imagined it, they started Microsoft when they were younger and more naive. They didn't include a "forced selling of preferred shares upon death" clause in the contract because they hadn't thought of it at the time. Now that they're older, they see the value of such a clause. Seeing as how this wasn't in the original contract, what legal options they had, if any, of retrieving those shares.

I also imaged that Allen and Gates had a difference of opinions, based on Allens reaction. Presumably Gates had asked for a voluntary sales of the share first and Allen had refused.

- Oliver