[News] ODF Delays in Massachusetts Because XP Magnifier Works Only with "Windows applications"

Blind leading away from open source

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm sure this is just a hiccup, but apparently the blind have given
| Massachusetts' efforts to mandate open source the shaft.
|
| Because Open Document Format (ODF) software (Open Office) does not yet
| work with screen magnifiers, which make computer documents usable by
| those who are legally blind, the state of Massachusetts is backing-away
| from its commitment to mandate the format.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=755

Sounds fishy to me. After all the anti-Quinn FUD, which had him resign, you
also had stories such as:

Mass. holding tight to OpenDocument

,----[ Quote ]
| State is sticking to its plan to standardize on OpenDocument, say
| the incoming CIO, describing the move as irreversible.
|
| Massachusetts is sticking to its plan to adopt OpenDocument, despite
| a critical report calling for a delay to the high-profile move.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6090196.html?part=rss&tag=6090196&subj=news

But then...

Microsoft offers schools in Mass. free software

,----[ Quote ]
| Corporate donations to school systems are not unusual, as companies often
| try to gain name recognition by placing their brands with younger
| consumers. State and school officials, though cognizant of companies'
| attempts to use students for branding, said the donation is a boon
| for financially strapped schools trying to update their technology.
|
| Microsoft's software includes normal applications, such as word
| processing and spreadsheets, as well as more advanced programs.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6090196.html?part=rss&tag=6090196&subj=news

Microsoft plays Massachusetts Senate card

OpenDocument not a done deal yet

,----[ Quote ]
| Accusations are rife that the software giant Microsoft has not given up
| on getting rid of the State of Massachusetts's plans to shift all its
| documents to the open source standard OpenDocument (ODF).
|
| Last week an amendment which would have would have removed the power of
| the State to set state wide IT standards and enabled the ODF project to
| be killed off was dropped. This lead many to believe that the ODF was a
| done deal.
|
| However, this week Vole gave Massachusetts high schools and universities
| more than splashed out more than $30 million worth of IT gear. This works
| out at $800 per student, and $2,400 per college kid. This is a huge amount
| of dosh, by education donation standards, in what is a very small US
| State.
|
| [...]
|
| Nothing wins votes more than being able to cut your budget thanks to a
| hefty donation from a big corporate donor, while at the same time Vole
| gets what it wants by somewhat unpublicised means.
`----

                        http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32515

Somebody is pushing an agenda here. And it's not the blind people, whose
'problem' can be easily fixed.