Re: [News] Windows Vista Will Wipe Linux Partitions

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 22 August 2006 21:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:44:53 +0100
> <1470916.YfkX7BIhB7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ miroco ] on Tuesday 22 August 2006 18:15 \__

>>> Why are they such assholes?
>>
>> It's the mantra. They will make it look like it's an
>> innocent mistake. Just as they have been doing with
>> Web standards for so many years.
>
> Actually, it's a little more complicated than that; until
> recently (say, the Win95 timeframe, perhaps?) the PC simply
> didn't have multiple OS capability -- mostly because nobody
> really bothered until Linux came along.  (I've not heard
> of dual-boot MS-DOS/4DOS units, for example.)
>
> So Microsoft happily replaced the boot record on every install.
> So what?  Until Linux comes along and...uh oh.
>
> Now we're asking them to change their methods to respect
> other operating systems.  A tad unfair perhaps, but not
> unreasonable given other circumstances (e.g., a highly
> competitive "flat-space" software environment). :-)

The twelelve tenets included a clause of being nice to the competition rather
than blindly stomp on it.

> Not the happiest of situations.
>
>> Erasing the MBR is the same as erasing a file (purging a
>> pointer to it), The average computer user will never be
>> able to recover it.
>
> Worse than that.  The MBR can only be read and altered by
> specialized tools.  At least with files one can copy them
> from a backup source -- *if* one bothered to back them up.

I have just come across the following (not even searched for it).

http://chris.tripunkt.de/?p=10

        Take back your MBR

Indeed, it's not trivial. no amateur computer user will be able to cope with
this.

> Fortunately, one of those tools is Linux itself, along with
> 'dd'.  To Linux, the MBR is simply the first two sectors
> on the boot drive -- which for most is /dev/hda.  (A word
> of warning: know what you're doing if you're root and want
> to fiddle. :-)  Or have a Livedisc or boot floppy handy.)

You'd have to have an affinity for some strange hobbies if you go as far as
doing this. *smile*

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  {Hide sig}    {Show sig}    >{Close Application}<
Tasks: 144 total,   2 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie