Re: Are Windows users as unstable as their OS?

  • Subject: Re: Are Windows users as unstable as their OS?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 05:07:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 04:35 \__

> John Hastings wrote:
>> I notice that many Windows advocates who (for some reason) try Linux and
>> then post immediately that it is crapware, a POS, junk, and so forth, seem
>> to let it take over their lives.  One gets the impression that the
>> experience has ruined their daily routine, digestion, and prospects in
>> life.  Possibly even lowered their IQ.
>
> Keep in mind that many of these people had unrealistic expectations of
> freeze-dried, instant, microwavable success.  More often, they either
> neglect to mention the actual hardware used, or they list a hardware
> configuration where every item on the list is on the compatibility list
> as "unsupported", or is otherwise documented as unsupported.
>
> These are people who have a clear agenda.  Most are Visual Basic
> programmers, who fear that if Linux were adopted, displacing Windows,
> that their career would come to an end.  It's as if they were too lazy,
> stupid, or senile to learn a new technology.  Most VB programmers could
> learn Python or Java syntax in about a week, and learn enough about the
> libraries to be productive in about a month.

Very true. That's another reason why they are here: to learn. Or to justify
and rationalise a move to Open Source (yes, they try installing Linux on
occasions). At the same time, on moody days, the justification is reversed.
It then becomes: justify why "Linux sucks". Maybe it will just "go away" if
you put your mind to it.

>>  One would think that in that
>> situation, the person would immediately format their drive, load some
>> version of Redmond's best, and forget that the horrible experience ever
>> happened - rather than relive the experience by torturing us with the
>> terrible tale.
>
> Again, there is an agenda.  Microsoft even hired a team of professional
> wintrolls in 1998, I think it was 15 people.  They may have posted
> under a number of different e-mail identities, and were often provided
> with research to help trap Penquinistas (Linux advocates) in even the
> most minor factoids, as a means to damage their credibility.
>
> Some, like Erik Funkenbusch, have been at it for over 10 years.

I believe that "Occupation: Geek" in his blog's bio pretty much gives it all
away.

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html

,----[ Quote ]