Re: Ooops, I hosed my ubuntu system big time while tinkering

  • Subject: Re: Ooops, I hosed my ubuntu system big time while tinkering
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:23:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 02:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, casioculture@xxxxxxxxx
> <casioculture@xxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on 22 Aug 2006 16:04:12 -0700
> <1156287852.489857.196320@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> So, what did I do?
>>
>> I subscribed to the torrent and it roared at ~1.9MB per second. While
>> it got downloading I went to buy bread as I had none. By the time I got
>> back the download was completed. I then burned the ISO at x48. I
>> restarted from windows and rebooted into the CD. A couple of minor
>> adjustment to the network settings, I told it to format root and swap,
>> mount the previous home parition as home, and I told it to install.
>> Within minutes it was done. Restarted, ah!, my familiar desktop with
>> all the home settings reloaded, my wallpaper, my friend's picture that
>> I got in an email two days ago is on the desktop, and all my other
>> files are just there. I then got automatix, as I'd never used it
>> before, and it's now running!
>>
>> How simple! I could've reinstalled my amd64 ubuntu from the CD I had
>> but I thought I'll try the i386 this time. I also could've tinkered
>> with it some more to try to fix it before reinstalling, but I've been
>> wanting an excuse to get a clean new installation anyhow over the past
>> few days.
>>
>> Really, how simple! Had it been windows it would've taken days to
>> reassemble all the pieces together.

A friend of mine, who is 77, jumped from Windows to Ubuntu last night. Cold
turkey! Everything works, but there is the need to import the data from the
backup device... all the Windows proprietary bits.

> All believable except for one thing: how did you avoid making a coaster
> from the Windows CD burner? :-)  Even while going out for comestibles,
> Windows might call out to the mothership...

Do you reckon they would send a singal to sabotage the burning process?
Windows software definitely makes it unintuitive, and in some case
impossible, to burn ISO's.