Re: Why Linux Will Continue to Be Successful

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 22 August 2006 14:33 \__

> r compromise is necessary to get full
>> | multimedia capability on Linux so non-technical users don't dismiss
>> | us out of hand," Raymond shouted.
>

> Offhand, I'm sympathetic to Raymond's position. Multimedia should be
> easy, easy, easy for novices, and you'll see greater Linux uptake.
> But I don't know the security ramifications of having unknown binary
> drivers in your system, maybe someone can fill me in.

Real Player 'phones home' by default. But it doesn't hide it. It's right
there in the GUI, if you at all bother to look. I hope I don't hijack this
followup opportunity because I'd love to hear about other examples of binary
blobs doing binary evil.