Re: If PCs were toasters...

__/ [ AZ Nomad ] on Monday 21 August 2006 18:30 \__

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:46:42 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [ Jim ] on Monday 21 August 2006 17:41 \__
>
>>> Take your Linux bread. Oh dear, it's too big to fit in the slot. What do
>>> you do?
>>> You cut off the crusts so the slices fit in the slots.
>>>
>>> Take your Microsoft Bread[TM]. Oh dear, that's too big for the slots.
>>> What do you do?
>>> Well, you're boned. The license that comes with the bread doesn't allow
>>> you to reverse engineer the bread (even only going so far as to cut off
>>> the crusts - which would cause the rest of the slice to disintegrate
>>> anyway). So, you have to buy a bigger toaster...
>
>>I'd advise against that. *smile*
>
>>I hear that the large toasters are more difficult to clean. And they
>>attract bacteria, viruses, and worms. In due time, you need to throw the
>>bread away and buy it afresh. The shop will give no refunds, either. And
>>the large toaster will cease to work unless you plug an antenna to it.
>
> And if you buy that toaster, MS will just release even bigger bread.

And if the already-oppressed toaster maker shows resistance and introduce a
double-slot toaster, MS will use scare tactics. It'll also make the toaster
more 'trustworthy' and 'advantageous' (DRM and WGA, respectively).

To quote the interpretation from Digg, "Bill Thompson suggests that Vista's
increasing use of TPM to take control of a computer away from its owner
could help promote open source operating systems such as Linux."