Re: [News] Understading the Open Source Software Community

  • Subject: Re: [News] Understading the Open Source Software Community
  • From: "Oliver Wong" <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:43:12 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:11801940.ksfKPD2qs2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who understands the OSS community?

,----[ Quote ]
| There are a lot of OSS programmers that feel the very same way. We might
| not always agree on certain (technical) issues, but we are proud of our
| work. That is a big difference with the code slaves that work for closed
| source companies. They have very little influence on the work that they
| do, give up their intellectual rights the moment they lift their fingers
| from the keys and get badly paid. And when closed source program is
| horribly made, the true artisan in us is disgusted.
|
| When you're doing a OSS project, you do it because you like it. Because
| you have an itch to scratch. And if your humble project is of any use to
| the outside world, you're are emotionally involved to say the least.
|
| There is no central OSS or Linux company. What we usually call "Linux"
| is actually a bunch of loosely connected OSS projects. There is no board,
| no CEO, no stock holders, no PR department and you don't have to apply for
| a job.
`----
http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/08/who_understands.html

I'm not sure it's wise to point out that CSS programmers are "badly paid" when comparing against OSS programmers, who for the most part, are not getting paid at all. Yes, I know of, for example, IBM paying its employees to work on the Eclipse project (which is OSS), but I suspect that the vast majority of OSS projects out there are done in the programmer's "spare time" as a hobby.

<quote>
"We" don't have to understand anything. "We" will just continue doing what we're good at, which is making programs, either for ourselves or the whole world. "We" don't need ignorant, pedantic editors telling what "we" got to do, think or write. "We" won't change our ways. "We" use Linux and know what it is all about and why "we" use it and continue to use it. And if you step on our pet project or insult us, "we" will continue to react. Because "we" are only passionately doing what "we" do best.
</quote>

There's a sort of duality of purpose in the OSS community, precisely because there is no "we", as the author writes. I believe it's this duality that leads to the biggest communication problems. Some people in the OSS community, let's call them the advocates, are trying to get people to convert over to OSS from CSS.

The rational users would try out OSS, and if the benefits outweight the drawbacks, they'll switch over to OSS. And if the benefits don't outweight the drawbacks, they won't switch. When asked about it, they'll reply "Well, I don't want to use this program unless factors A, B and C change."

Then the other half of the OSS community replies, saying "We don't care what you think. We're making OSS software because we want to. We don't have to listen to you, we're gonna do things our way." The author seems to be part of this latter camp. And his position is perfectly reasonable. I write OSS too. And I put in whatever features *I* want. I'm the boss of the project, and what I say goes. I'm open to suggestions from my users, but I'm at liberty to ignore those suggestions if I want.

But from the point of view of the user, this is very confusing. Earlier, they were asked to try out OSS, and now they're told that OSS will not bend overbackwards to meet their needs, and that the users will just have to accept whatever they get.

I'm caricaturizing of course, but I see signs of this duality even within this newsgroup. On the one hand, a lot of posters here are telling Windows users to switch to Linux, and that Linux is easy and intuitive. Then the Windows user (e.g. me) say "Okay, well I'd use Linux if A, B and C were changed to be more like Windows", to which a different set of posters reply "Linux isn't Windows. We're not gonna dumb down Linux to work like Windows. We don't care about 95% marketshare, we're happy with the marketshare we have."

- Oliver