Re: [News] Compiz/XGL on Touchscreen (Video)

  • Subject: Re: [News] Compiz/XGL on Touchscreen (Video)
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:00:06 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 19 Aug 2006 07:25:29 +0100
<1958436.fnrHOvCSlE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 18 August 2006 21:00 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:50:01 +0100
>> <2298569.NYbxQ3P5lF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> 3D Desktop! TouchScreen and XGL on Linux!
>>>
>>> This looks quite futuristic. It is also somewhat reminiscent of
>>> knock-based commands on IBM laptops (e.g. to rotate the box).
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9FgLr9oTk
>>
>> Actually, that might be an interesting combination.
>> The effect of twisting the cube and grabbing the wobbly
>> windows might very well be a selling-point for those more
>> tactile-oriented.  It's a good appearance of interacting
>> with quasi-physical objects.
>

> I still think they ought to place the monitor/s much in the
> same way as they do in Indiana schools (Linux in education).
> The monitor should be mounted on the table and act like a
> book/mousepad/tablet.

I'm not sure if that'll work or not, unless one can also
rest the arm on the monitor without the computer trying
to do something with it.  There's also the issue of looking
down, which may strain the back neck muscles.  I'll admit,
though, to not being expert in ergonomics.

Such an application might be very useful to military planners,
as well; a map would be shown on a stand-up table, together with
relevant information on troop strengths and estimations of enemy
fortifications or some such.

> Raising your hand like this
> (as in the video)  for hours can be very tiring. And one
> loses precision because the arm has no support. Maybe a
> combination of mouse and finger (stylus equivalent)
> would be fine.

It's a thought.

>> As for the alleged nakedness, I'll remind the watchers
>> that Monty Python had a certain individual playing a church
>> organ, so presumably this sort of thing isn't new. :-)
>

> Well, I hope the guy in the video was not playing an organ.

Heh!

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.