Re: 'Universal' Wi-Fi Exploit Pure BS?

  • Subject: Re: 'Universal' Wi-Fi Exploit Pure BS?
  • From: "nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 21 Aug 2006 04:43:24 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> MacBook Wi-Fi hack didn't use Apple drivers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In early August a senior researcher at SecureWorks said he had revealed
> | a vulnerability in Apple?s MacBook wireless software driver that would
> | allow him to take control of the machine.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Maynor told the Washington Post at the time that they demoed the flaw
> | on the Mac because of the "Mac user base aura of smugness on security."
> `----
>
> http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/17/wirelesshack/index.php
>
> At the time, this was said to affect all platforms, including (potentially)
> Linux. I also read a similar story about Cisco this morning. There was no
> hack in their router. Those 'black hat' folks might be a bunch of hacks. And
> Microsoft recently put them on its payroll.
>
> Microsoft Secures Vista With LSD
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In 2003, the group of four Polish security researchers discovered
> | the vulnerability that would later be used by others to unleash the
> | Blaster worm, but because of distrust over Microsoft's willingness
> | to address software flaws at the time, members had to be coaxed
> | into sharing their findings.
> |
> | The group, known as LSD, is now on Microsoft's payroll...
> `----
>
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2001963,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

What I'm trying to figure out from your post is the connection between
the Apple hack (using 3rd party hardware) and the LSD group.  I
couldn't see the connection, but if there is one, then it's
significant, because in the original announcement the SecureWorks
researchers criticized Apple for its "smugness" on security, mentioning
their tv ads (which slam Microsoft security, based on what I've heard).
 So if a security expert wants to say that all platforms have to be
concerned about security, then that's one thing.  But if the same guys
are on the Microsoft payroll, then it looks more like part of a FUD
campaign.