Re: Looking for an app

  • Subject: Re: Looking for an app
  • From: Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 03:46:37 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[snips]

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:20:35 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Right direction, but I was really looking for something that'd highlight
>> the matches.
>
> How do you want it highlighted? Which shell is this? Can it have multiple
> highlights? You couldn't associate highlight with output that's piped unless
> the highlight is symbolic (markup). How about opening the output in an
> editor and then use a highlighter?

bash, and the point is to "tail and follow": tail -f file so piping to an
editor is not liable to work as intended.

The idea is to add a new string, eg tail -f log myhost and it'll do the
usual tail thing, but wherever "myhost" matches, it'll highlight -
different color, reverse video, whatever.  Without mucking up the tail
stream, requiring a browser or editor, etc.

Someone suggested colortail - will look at it.  Might be the right thing.