Re: Setting display resolution not working

__/ [ Dan Espen ] on Sunday 20 August 2006 23:13 \__

> Ignoramus16089 <ignoramus16089@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Fedora Core 5.
>>
>> Upgraded my PC (basically got everything new, but kept hard drives).
>>
>> It works great with my old Compaq P110 monitor. Even, to my surprise,
>> the Ethernet adaptor built into the motherboard. Everything is perfect
>> and required zero system meddling, even though I have a new CPU, new
>> memory, new ethernet, new everything (OK I have not yet tried
>> sound).
>>
>> I also bought myself a new nice 24" LCD monitor. It has resolution of
>> 1920x1200, 60 Hz.
>
> It will never work with Linux, send it to me.
>
> :)

*LOL*

That's why I like SUSE. From the command line, yast2 can be launched (ncurses
UI) and then sax2 be used to generate the Xorg settings file. With most
monitors, X will fall back to some coarse resolution that allows sax2 to do
it all from the graphical GUI. It's largely automated.