[News] Linux Strengths in the Virtualisation Arena

Notes on the Microsoft/Novell Webinar

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, why point any of this out? I think that Microsoft thinks that it
| can manage the Linux threat by conferring legitimacy on a
| pay-per-system flavor of Linux, one for which the cost savings next
| to Windows aren't too large.
|
| However, I don't think Microsoft understands the extent to which the
| legitimacy and the interoperability improvements they'll be lending to
| Linux will bleed from Novell's pay-per-system OSes to Novell's totally
| free OSes, and from there to all manner of other free and commercial
| Linux-based operating systems.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft is blasting ahead impressively toward offering a compelling
| option for hosting virtual machines. However, since Linux is so much
| better suited to being deployed in virtual appliance form, Microsoft
| may be blasting toward a future in which the 2 to 1 Windows to Linux
| ratio they may have in mind ends up working out rather differently.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/notes_on_the_microsoftnovell_webinar.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/yhc5yw

This is not the most prolific editor, who seems to be a Microsoft shill. Jo
Foley, who left Microsoft Watch, has taken some MS insults in her ZDNet
blog. Among the comments...

"...to try to steal the millions of man-hours of work that has gone into the
development of the Linux kernel.

Just because Linux is free to use, doesn't mean it's free to abuse."

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12558-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=28492&messageID=532274&start=-34

Both sites seem to have attracted bitter people who participate rather than
just lurk.