Re: [News] Linux Adoption in 2007 Will Be Assisted by Microsoft

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft will drive Linux desktop adoption in 2007
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Since the users are not paying Microsoft for products or services,
> | there is no financial downside for Redmond. However, there is a
> | risk if enterprise-level customers move outright to another platform,
> | Gillen said.
> |
> | "[Microsoft] is not hurting the installed base, but they are likely
> | to increase competitive installation instances when they cause a user
> | to move off of a non-paid copy of Windows and the user winds up on
> | Linux," he said.
> `----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1235668,00.html

I hope MAC are also preparing for the possible move of MS users. Mac
machines, at least those in britland, are a bit too expensive for a company
to move it's users en'mass, probably the better machines will deter even
geeky home users still.

If Mac put their machines below the Â1000 mark, I mean the likes of MacPro,
then they may well steal a great deal of the market.

Particularly as the new version of Mac OS is apparently very good when it
comes to running virual machines such as Linux. If may well prove to be the
machine that would win over those MS users who still fear Linux, want
something guarenteed to work right out of the box, but would like to
painlessly try Linux. But only if the Macs are affordable.