Re: Nasa using Linux

  • Subject: Re: Nasa using Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 04:12:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Ramon F Herrera ] on Tuesday 19 December 2006 02:07 \__

> Philip wrote:
>> I was watching the space walks today and noticed the redhat-gnome
>> display of the robot arm simulation display.
>>
>> Philip
>
> NASA has been one of the earliest supporters of Linux. A while back
> 3Com (the company that invented Ethernet) didn't included Linux drivers
> with their cards, but they provided a link to the authors of the Linux
> driver, at NASA.
>
> There is a general rule: in any business, organization, university,
> etc. where you have bright people you will find that they use
> Unix/Linux while any shop where they hire people whose main skill is
> moving a mouse around (Mickey Mouse Community College material) they
> will tend to use Windows.
>
> The biggest lie of Balmer & Gates is that you can turn any retarded
> person into a competent system administrator "because Windows is so
> easy to use, you don't even need a brain!".

NASA robots run Linux too. You can't just remotely reboot some land vehicle
that BSoD'ed on Mars...

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | < http://debian.org >
Swap:  1036184k total,   375632k used,   660552k free,    52408k cached