Re: Why PS3 is the only Next Gen System

  • Subject: Re: Why PS3 is the only Next Gen System
  • From: "Quantum Leaper" <leaper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:27:20 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
news:1723807.XPReoPZTm7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> __/ [ Sandman ] on Monday 18 December 2006 19:48 \__
>
>> In article <N7SdndomkJPIdBvYnZ2dnUVZ_o2vnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>  John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

> http://cnet.nytimes.com/Sony_PlayStation_3_60GB/4864-6464_7-31355103.html?ctyp
>>> e=msgid&messageSiteID=7&messageID=1360372&cval=1360372&tag=uolst
>>>
>>> "What does matter, in my opinion, is that the next-generation wave of
>>> consoles truly do represent a new generation. It is easy for
>>> technological systems and devices to fall into a pattern of "rehash
>>> syndrome" - updating and upgrading existing products (yesterday's
>>> products) and pretending that they therefore represent new ideas
>>> (today's products). On the brink of the release of Xbox 360, PS3, and
>>> the Nintendo Revolution, the current-gen Xbox, PS2, and GameCube are all
>>> yesterday's products.
>>>
>>> The battle between next-gen systems is not about the numbers (though,
>>> the PS3 does boast far better specs - for those of you who actually lend
>>> weight to this fact). To me, it is about which console will truly usher
>>> in a new generation. To me, the best console is not the one that makes
>>> yesterday's tech reusable today - the best console is the one that makes
>>> tomorrow's tech attainable today. The Xbox 360 will be nice - better
>>> graphics, better design, better interface - but in reality, it is little
>>> more than an upgrade to the current-gen Xbox. Improving graphics,
>>> performance, speed - such is the "rehash syndrome" technology trap that
>>> so many developers and system designers so easily fall into."
>>
>> Written over a year ago, before the Nintendo Wii was announced and
>> showed that "Next Generation" doesn't have to be "Next Generation of
>> benchmarks".
>>
>> I own a Wii and a 360. The PS3 hasn't been released here in europe
>> yet, but I'll get me one of those as well. It would be stupid not to
>> count the Wii as a true next-gen console in spite of it lacking the
>> muscles of the bigger boys.
>
> I'm assuming that it's your children who crave for the consoles? In any
> event, the PS3 is truly a big player because a huge number of PS2 folks
> wait
> for it... backward comptaibility (with exception) makes this a rational
> choice. Linux and Blu-ray are nice 'addons'. IIRC, PS3 has begun its VoD
> service today/yesterday (??).

Backward compatiblity that doesn't do anti-alasing,  make those graphics
nice and jaggy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs
Linux on a slow in-order CPU,  better not have any branchs.
http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?cpage=1
Blu-Ray will only be good if it wins the next format war,  which is still up
in the air.  Right now I wouldn't buy either,  since there is a good chance
that next year they will have dual format players.  At least MS give you a
choice to you want HD movie playback,  Sony doesn't...