Re: Linux Advocacy -- choosing the best

__/ [ mlw ] on Monday 18 December 2006 14:09 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 18 December 2006 12:10 \__
>>
>>> Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:

>>> mlw has never been a wintoll...
>>> A mysql-hater, yes, but he's always advocated linux when he didn't have
>>> his "I hate mysql and insist on telling everyone how much" hat on.
>>
>> He might not like my contributions, but he's definitely here for the
>> betterment of Linux, even if he talks about his pet peeves.
>>
>> FWIW,(some) people express anger and disastifaction with Postgres as well.
>> Each DB/DBMS has its flaws and these are usually realised once they are
>> used heavily and pushed to extremity.
>
> This equivocation is exactly the point of my initial post. MySQL is not
> equal with other databases, it is, in fact, worse.
>
> We need to evaluate "merit," not just preference. To advocate Linux, we
> can't be hypocrites, we need to look clearly at the technology we recommend
> and understand its strengths and weaknesses, and make an INFORMED decision
> about its use. Even if we *like* something, we should be able to leave it
> behind if it is not up to par.
>
> If we can't do this, then we might as well give up and use Windows or
> Macintosh.

True. FWIW, Slashdot has just had a MySQL versus Postgras benchmark posted.
It's from the Fermi labs (no bias), but it's about 15 months old. It should
still be at the front page.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz     | GPL - Global Programmer's Law
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S