Re: [News] Microsoft Patents Crippleware?

"Phil Da Lick!" <phil_the_lick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>>
>> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-To-Release-Modular-Operating-Systems-42462.shtml
>>> that will be the death of windows
>>
>> I thought it had died well before the anti-piracy measures were put in place.
>> It probably died in 2004 when the engineers could no longer cope with the
>> messy code (culmination of a disaster), scraped Longhorn and decided to
>> build a nice gown for Windows XP (Server 2003) instead.
>>
>> Security in Vista? My arse security... zero-day exploits for Vista are
>> already being auctioned. It's a Mac OS-esque gown. And a bunch of 'features'
>> nobody will ever bother to use.. not to mention 'fun' features like WGA, IE7
>> spying on the user, DRM and 'Trusted' Computing (industry controls the
>> user.. more effective than squeezing Windows 98/200/ME users to urge more
>> spendings... by adding explicit checks the the installers and 'punishing'
>> them... until they buy a new PC with a shackling Vista reploaded).
>>
>> While I'm at it, bear in mind that after 5 years, despite sinking hardware
>> costs, a 'Vista PC' costs 20% more than an 'XP PC' back in 2001.
>>

> you're focussing on features and ability, and we all know windows
> blows there.
>
> no, windows' captive market is based on enforced oem sales. when joe
> public gets his pc he's already paid for windows so he doesn't care.
>
> try telling him he'll have to pay for this that and the other at a
> later date and he'll care very much. Linux will get loads of free
> mindshare when that happens.

No it wont unfortunately. Most users wouldn't touch a PC that didn't
come pre-installed with Windows. They used it before and it works for
them.

Now, if some clever sod like Shuttleworth could convince DELL to *dual
boot* Windows and Ubuntu, THEN people would get to see it.

I am afraid that most people cant be assed with trying to install Linux
alongside Windows as they are too shit scared they will lose their
existing data. We all know to back up, few do though.