[News] Wintel Antitrust Returns to the Headlines

Court tells Intel to hand over foreign documents in antitrust case

,----[ Quote ]
| In June 2005, AMD filed a massive antitrust lawsuit against Intel, accusing
| the larger CPU maker of abusing its dominant position in the worldwide PC
| market to prevent AMD's CPUs from making significant inroads. The suit
| alleges that Intel customers like Toshiba, Gateway, Dell, Hitachi, and
| others agreed to exclusive deals with Intel in exchange for "cash payments,
| discriminatory pricing or marketing subsidies conditioned on the exclusion
| of AMD."

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
|
| "It isn't illegal to be successful," Conlin said in opening
| remarks. "We applaud that. ... But you can't freeze out competitors
| and punish and retaliate against people who cooperate with
| competitors. Microsoft did all that and more."
|
| Conlin warned jurors that she would say some unflattering things
| about Microsoft and its billionaire founder Bill Gates, who
| serves as company chairman.
|
| [...]
|
| Conlin's first 3 1/2 hours of opening arguments delved deeply into
| computer industry history and how Microsoft fought off competitors
| attempting to design rival software.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

Quote:
--------------------
Today in Iowa, attorneys have once again taken Microsoft  (nasdaq: MSFT
-  news  -  people ) to court over anti-trust charges associated with
its Windows operating system. In addition to the age-old complaints
about squeezing out competitors and price-fixing, there is a twist:
This case alleges that by bolting together Windows and Internet
Explorer, Microsoft produced software that gummed up people's
computers....

The opening statement by Iowa attorney Roxanne Barton Conlin is
expected to last three to four days. She plans to show the entire
10-hour deposition given by Gates in 1998 to attorneys for the U.S.
Department of Justice....

One minor victory for Microsoft: Gates and Ballmer need only make one
trip to Iowa and so will answer questions from both the prosecution and
defense on the same day--potentially disrupting the "flow" of the
plaintiff's case.

Complaints about lack of choice and high prices have been the theme
song of most of the legal complaints against Microsoft. The Iowa case
also alleges that Microsoft's software caused "drained memory,
decreased speed and an increased incidence of security breaches and
bugs" in its customers' computers....

The plaintiff lawyers contend that Iowan customers of Microsoft are
entitled to as much as $329 million in damages as compensation for
Microsoft overcharges between May 1994 and June 2006. The lawyers are
also seeking compensation for the time people have had to spend
repairing security breaches--a figure that they put at a minimum of $50
million. "The illegal bolting of Internet Explore to the Windows
operating system created a larger 'attack surface'" and made the
operating system more vulnerable, asserts Richard Hagstrom, co-lead
counsel for the plaintiffs. "The damages are based on what people
need to do to protect themselves from security breaches."

http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/vista-lawsuit-microsoft-tech-cz_ec_1...

Comes v. MS Antitrust Trial Begins in Iowa

,----[ Quote ]