[News] [SOT] US Government Adopts Idea From Windows EULA

White House policy angers scientists

,----[ Quote ]
| A new Bush administration policy for reviewing scientific documents before
| publication has angered some U.S. Geological Survey scientists, who say the
| elaborate internal review of their work may impede them from conveying
| information to the public.
|
| [...]
|
| "There's been no effort yet other than to intimidate everybody, but to
| me it's censorship. ... I think they're afraid of science. Our findings
| on ecology could be embarrassing to the administration."
`----

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=324911&Category=23

Related:

Vista licensing also limits benchmarking

,----[ Quote ]
| License transfers aren't the only thing the End User License Agreement
| (EULA) for Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Vista OS limits. The license
| also puts restrictions on how benchmarks of certain components of
| the OS can be published, another issue that is raising eyebrows as
| Microsoft still has not clarified how changes will specifically
| affect users.
|
| According to the Vista EULA, because the OS contains "one or more
| components" of the .Net Framework 3.0, users can conduct internal
| benchmarking of those components, but can't disclose the results
| of those benchmarks -- or measurements to compare rival products
| -- unless they comply with conditions found at a Microsoft Web
| site.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/061101vistalicense/index.html

5 Ways in which Bush is like Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
|     * No matter how much Bush screws his people, he is still
|       president! == No matter how much Ballmer screws his customers,
|       MS is still popular.
|
|     * Bush talks a lot. He is able to make people see non-existent weapons.
|       == Ballmer was actually operated on for talking too much...
|
|     * Bush rules his people by FUD... == Ballmer wins market
|       share by FUD. Telling users that Linux is communism and that open
|       source does not have technical support and its insecure.
|
|     * Bush takes advantage of moments of grief to further his fascism... ==
|       Microsoft takes advantage of suffering children in developing
|       countries...
|
|     * Bush is obsessed with national security... == Microsoft is
|       obsessed with a one size fits all frenzy...
`----

http://findsecrets.blogspot.com/2006/11/5-ways-in-which-bush-is-like-ballmer.html

Add a 6th: both ensure that criticism is being suppressed.