Re: Linux file/backup server with Mac clients

__/ [ Sandman ] on Sunday 17 December 2006 13:50 \__

> Anyone got any experience with this? A headless Linux machine with
> 4x500GB disks in RAID1+0 that runs a SFTP/FTP server for (legal) file
> sharing and provides network backup to mainly Mac clients, preferably
> through Appletalk (netatalk) for maximum transparency.
>
> Gigabit network. Any idea what distro I should use - I'm a Debian guy,
> but maybe there's something better for this purpose?

My initial thought was that Debianadmin, among other Web sites, will have
extensive HOWTO's for exactly that. The choice of FTP might be worth
replacing with SSH (scp, rsync, fish://) although sftp will make use of it
and probably facilitate hyper-threading too (important over slow/shared
connections).

Are you creating separate users accounts on the backup server/s? One issue
that we have with the local SAN is user permissions and groups. To make
matters worse, Windows XP has a very shallow understanding of understanding
and permissions from what I could gather. Darwin/BSD should probably be
fine. Are these computers all yours are do they belong to separate people?
What about quotas? Ubuntu has an intuitive-to-set-up feature that will allow
you to mount the file server and treat it in a drag-and-drop fashion without
much effort.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
Cpu(s):  21.2% user,   3.0% system,   1.0% nice,  74.9% idle