[News] Inquiring Minds Fear Vendor Lockin

Should I buy a Windows or Linux PC?

,----[ Quote ]
| I want to get a new PC, whilst if possible avoiding "lock in" to suppliers
| of hardware or software. I was thinking of a Linux system, but I have some
| DOS and Windows programs I'd like to retain, and I'm too short of time and
| brainpower to become technically involved.
|
| [...]
|
| Having got a Windows PC to run your existing software, you can then
| install your Linux distro of choice, such as Ubuntu
| (http://www.ubuntu.com/), for no extra charge. Although this will
| not include support, at least you will be in fairly well known
| territory.
`----

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/askjack/2006/12/should_i_buy_a_windows_or_linu.html

Related:

BadVista.org: FSF launches campaign against Microsoft Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today launched BadVista.org, a
| campaign with a twofold mission of exposing the harms inflicted on
| computer users by the new Microsoft Windows Vista and promoting free
| software alternatives that respect users' security and privacy
| rights.
|
| The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today launched BadVista.org, a campaign
| with a twofold mission of exposing the harms inflicted on computer users by
| the new Microsoft Windows Vista and promoting free software alternatives
| that respect users' security and privacy rights...
`----

http://badvista.fsf.org/

Who do You Trust with Your Computing?

,----[ Quote ]
| Helios was speaking out against trusted computing (TC) and Digital
| Rights Management (DRM) that is humming softly at the hardware and
| software level inside YOUR computer right now. That's right! Chances
| are, it's already made it on a chip on your and my motherboards...but
| it's there. Soon, if what can happen does happen...we'll all be so
| very unhappy at being told how we can and can't operate our PCs.
|
| Some of you may be asking, "what the heck are you talking about?
| They can't tell me how I can use my computer inside my own home".
| Unfortunately, that statement is false. DRM chips are already on a
| majority of motherboards and even built into some processors (viiv
| anyone?). All it takes is a flip of the switch and you'll do what
| Microsoft or any other company that wants to manage your rights
| for you tells you to do whether you like it or not. That is, ofc
| ourse, unless you use Linux :)  Linux has always been about
| choice...we choose to compute in ways WE want to...not ways
| that are defined for us.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/176-Who-do-You-Trust-with-Your-Computing.html

Financial Services: fed up with proprietary integration hassles

,----[ Quote ]
| In financial services, enterprises are fed up with proprietary
| integration / middleware price gouging and architecture lock-in,
| and actively on the prowl for open source alternatives.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2006/12/financial_servi.html

Two ways Microsoft's mindshare sabotages Linux desktop adoption

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may not make flawless software, but its proprietary
| strategy is hard to fault. In particular, Microsoft has mastered
| desktop lock-in, undermining users' confidence in any alternatives
| and creating a slew of minor difficulties that irritate those
| who do switch.
|
| [...]
|
| The power of MS brainwashing
|
| Six months later," 80% of users have and had no problem with OpenOffice,"
| Holt said.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/columnItem/0,294698,sid39_gci1165420,00.html?track=sy184

Microsoft's Zune the salvation of VC1?

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe Microsoft came out with Zune not to counter the iPod
| hardware but to make WMV/WMA relevant again.
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2006/12/microsofts_zune_teh.html

Microsoft Office lock-in and the deal with Novell

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000142