Re: [YouTube] PS3's running Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Saturday 16 December 2006 22:09 \__

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote
on Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:20:01 +0000
<2713012.2JcHeTxvbZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

__/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Saturday 16 December 2006 19:21 \__

Reality:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=ps3+linux&search=Search

Microsoft has already begun ridiculing the PS3 Linux. This is great news. It means they feel threatened. The last time they reacted in this way it was the OLPC project which made headlines. They also sent out their analysts/shills such as Rob E. to spread FUD.

I would not surprise me if, out of deparation, Microsoft will consider a
Cell port of Windows. They'll call it Winnie-Cell. A Cell server will be
WIMP.

Windows is already running on Orange Phones. I think it's a variant of WinCE but it is Windows.

Of course, that's a different form of "cell", but in theory a port from
Orange to Cell is at least contemplatable.

Also, Linux got to Cell first, and is also on various mobile
equipment.

We shall see.

Microsoft no longer feels the Linux pinch. 120 million PS3's (probably
with Linux which will have evolved a lot by then) by 2010 are nothing to
sneeze at. It's no pinch; it's a kick in the arse.

If not a slightly different (and far more painful) anatomical area.

Mr. Boris Yeltsin insists that pinching is done at the back end. However, if
you insist, we can whistle at Winnie-Cell so that it turns around, or hit it
from the front... http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_RCvPbA_4

I posted this fact that the PS3 was already running YellowDog Linux and that Steve Jobs jumped the gun on moving to Intel and should've waited. As usual, it wasn't welcome there. I even posted the IBM url for the facts regarding the Cell broadband engine having a Power series processor at the core with 8 auxilliary processors alongside of it. Plus it runs 10x faster than current PCs. Not welcome at all.
:D