[News] Lawyers Show Jury That Bill Gates is Not a Nice Guy

Video of Gates Shown in Microsoft Trial

,----[ Quote ]
| Plaintiffs' attorney Roxanne Conlin, who fought to have the videotape
| shown to jurors, plans to play all 10 hours of the tape.
|
| [...]
|
| "The lawyer taking the deposition in asking Mr. Gates questions was
| indeed himself aggressive and we think you'll see that that lawyer
| was intent on getting under Mr. Gates' skin," Tulchin said. "And there
| were times when Mr. Gates shows his annoyance."
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061215/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

Related:

A video that used to show parts of this has been removed from YouTube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3vQKAtHdfuc

        (link now broken. Video removed for whatever reason, which is a rarity
         unless copyrights are infringed upon. That video disappeared /before/
         Google took over. YouTube)

,----[ Video description ]
| This is Bill Gates before Microsoft was declared an illegal monopoly
| in 1998. In this video Bill Gates is apparently being grilled by a
| tough government lawyer. This video was thought to be scrubbed off
| the Internet after 1998 -- so someone must be an insider to get this.
`----

I hope someone has a copy of that digital video, or at least the tape. In the
video he rocks back and fourth as the investigator reveals to him things he
has said about Netscape (apparently, Bill Gates wasn't deleting his E-mail
every 7 days at the time). This included proof that IE was deliberately
embedded deep in the O/S in order to eliminate its competitor. I have never
seen Gates so nervous and speechless. Other intersting quotes that come out
from such E-mails that are exchanged between managers...

,----[ Quote ]
| ...In Monday's opening statement, Conlin read from a Jim Allchin memo, from
| the DRI-Novell story. Here's part of what Allchin said about how to deal
| with the competitive threat from Novell then:
|
| "We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger....If you're going to
| kill someone, there isn't much reason to get all worked up about it and
| angry. You just pull the trigger. Any discussions beforehand are a waste of
| time. We need to smile at Novell while we pull the trigger."

Criminal minds, eh? Have a look...

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
|
| "It isn't illegal to be successful," Conlin said in opening
| remarks. "We applaud that. ... But you can't freeze out competitors
| and punish and retaliate against people who cooperate with
| competitors. Microsoft did all that and more."
|
| Conlin warned jurors that she would say some unflattering things
| about Microsoft and its billionaire founder Bill Gates, who
| serves as company chairman.
|
| [...]
|
| Conlin's first 3 1/2 hours of opening arguments delved deeply into
| computer industry history and how Microsoft fought off competitors
| attempting to design rival software.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

Comes v. MS Antitrust Trial Begins in Iowa

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's part of what Allchin said about how to deal with the competitive
| threat from Novell then:
|
| "We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger....If you're
| going to kill someone, there isn't much reason to get all worked up
| about it and angry. You just pull the trigger. Any discussions
| beforehand are a waste of time. We need to smile at Novell while
| we pull the trigger."
|
| [...]
|
| Conlin used a variety of computer-generated illustrations,
| including one that showed 15 icons, each representing what she
| said was an illegal action taken by Microsoft in pursuit of its
| bid to become and remain a monopoly. The icons had titles like
| "exclusionary contract," "technical sabotage," "buying out the
| competition," "espionage," and "deception and misinformation."

Microsoft 'double locked market'

,----[ Quote ]