Re: kernel.org chuckle

  • Subject: Re: kernel.org chuckle
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:03:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Linonut ] on Friday 15 December 2006 16:14 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, yttrx belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> http://www.kernel.org/
>>>
>>>   Site News
>>>   Dec 12: It appears that a large number of users preferentially hit
>>>   server 1, despite DNS round-robin. Some reports indicate that this
>>>   may be caused when there is a Microsoft DNS server in between us and
>>>   the end user (e.g. at the ISP.) Therefore, if you use rsync against
>>>   our servers, you may want to hit server 2 explicitly
>>>   (rsync2.kernel.org or mirrors2.kernel.org).
>>>
>>> I wonder in what manner Microsoft has "extended" DNS <grin>.
>>>

>> They havent, its just that they never figured out and correctly
>> implemented round-robin.
>>
>> In anything.
>
> Thanks for adding to my chuckle!

This might explain why Microsoft Windows Real Time Edition is vapourware.
They can't penetrate high-performance computing either, unless you include
tiny arrays administered by misinformed box booters.

"Fire in ze hole! Node #12 is spewing out SPAM and node #11 BSoD'ed last
night".

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | < http://debian.org >
  6:00pm  up 58 days  4:14,  7 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.46, 0.23