Re: [News] Novell's Products Could Be Absorbed/Replaced by Microsoft

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Mainstreaming Linux?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The bigger issue I have, though, is the whole concept of including
> | support for Novell products in Windows. A little over a decade ago,
> | Microsoft included NetWare support in Windows by reverse-engineering the
> | IPX/SPX protocol, calling it NWLink, and including it with every version
> | of Windows that shipped. That move marked the beginning of the end for
> | NetWare --no longer did you need to license the proprietary IPX/SPX
> | protocol to talk to the network, you already had it. While this looked
> | like Microsoft's bridge to interoperability at the time, it also opened
> | the door to building entire networks without using anything from Novell
> | -- once you didn't need it for the desktop, you learned that NT could be
> | the server and Windows could do it all.
> `----
>
> http://www.certcities.com/editorial/columns/story.asp?EditorialsID=211th

That is a tricky one, it is hard to say that what MS did that time was a bad
thing because Novell had bit their own bum with Netware. Despite being a
good product which would undoubtedly have sold, Netware prices were way
over the top. Pay once for your server OS then pay at least the same again
to get the nice bits that they showed you at the conferences.

People were already trying to get away from Netware if only because of the
budget and because IT people were a bit miffed at not getting that
super-tool that they got to play with, despite the free lunch.

> All Systems Go: Novell & Microsoft Interoperability Web Seminar
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft and Novell are coming together -- to help you operate better
> | and achieve your key technical and business goals.
> `----
>
> http://register.novell.com/listings/?id=85

Do people really do this sort of thing? I mean, have long long    long
meetings about setting strategies and goals. I don't, I sit in my chair,
decide what I want to play with, then put it into my IT report and budget
for the next year.

Now, can anyone suggest a way to get a Wii into my budget?