Re: [News] Even Microsoft Agrees That Vista May Be Last of Its Kind

Wong outlines the usefulness of some particular Windows
resources, and I think he has a point there.  I think Windows
remains in effect today, not because of any technical virtues
it may have, but only because 1) it's closed software and
this works in an environment of ignorant users; and 2)
Microsoft seems very good at market manipulation by way of
buying up competitors and people with proven good ideas,
and at using money to trigger particular processes.  The SCO
suit against Linux being a more obvious example.

But Windows has some problems.  Doing things in Windows
is *laborious*.  And unlike working in a good shell, you can't do
things nicely in Windows.  That it's an environment conceals
that it's basically an immense collection of kluges: see Karp,
Windows XP Annoyances for Geeks, O'Reilly 2003, Appendix
A, Setting Locator.  *What is that* if not a great big table of
kluges?

A second serious problem with Windows is its ongoing problem
of inflation.  It wastes space hugely.  A few months ago I was
helping a friend with a technical dissertation.  At a point he
changed away from the Windows format he had it in: its size
changed from 30 megabytes to 3 megabytes.  Same thing to
look at.  *That,* multiplied, is something that has to go from
Windows, but without it, Windows isn't Windows any more.

There is a third thing on my mind about Windows.  I'm working
at problems of making living permanent settlements off-Terra,
i.e, in space.  The people who live Out There will live greatly
different lives from those here: nowhere in this Solar System,
nowhere in known space, is there a place like here on Terra
where if you want to go somewhere, you step outside and go
there.  Etc etc: a practical meaning of this is that any software
in space (and there will be a *lot* of it) must be space-rated,
from known source code, publically accessible.  Microsoft,
who uses multitudinous restrictions (or they try to, ref 'BSA'),
cannot be Microsoft any more if they do that.

So that's why I see (that poisonous abortion called) Windows,
and Microsoft who make it, as temporary facades across the
cyberspace environment we live in today and will much-more
live in tomorrow and in space.

Cheers -- Martha Adams