Re: [News] Yet Another Ransomware Story

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Scammers take Web mail hostage
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Such hostage taking is a new form of cyberextortion. Previous attacks
> | have used malicious software known as ransomware that encrypts certain
> | files on victims' computers and then demands payment for decryption.
> | The blackmailer threatens to delete the files if no payment is
> | received.
> |
> | "We have only had one report. This very first one that we have
> | found out about," Hubbard said.
> |
> | The Hotmail user's credentials could also have been compromised
> | through a phishing scam. However, Hubbard said that the unidentified
> | victim believes that's not what happened.
> |
> | Microsoft did not immediately respond to requests seeking comment.
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-6142790.html

Wouldn't this sort of scam by default give a path back to the criminals, at
the very least the account receiving funds can be frozen.

Even if the criminals are based in russia the russian authorities are likely
to be as afraid as some of the far east countries when they were the main
sources of virus's, many companies blocked them altogether. kr had to take
action internaly to catch their own criminals. Remember the uproar when AOL
cut off whole regions, I did the same in the company I worked for.