Re: [News] Wii Appears to Be Winning the Console War

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 13 December 2006 11:12 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Nintendo Wii launch breaks UK record
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Nintendo has sold more than 105,000 Wiis in the UK since the games
>> | console went on sale over here first thing last Friday morning.
>> | According to the videogames pioneer, punters took possession of
>> | 50,000 Wiis during the first 12 hours it was available.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/12/wii_uk_sales_record/
>>

> I'm not at all surprised, the Wii looks like a machine made for plain old
> fun, rather than like those with the handset where you can never remember
> which button does what and in the heat of battle just hit all of them in
> some random frantic way in the hope that luck will come to the rescue.
>
> At last we are getting the first of the handsets where the user doesn't
> have to be a desk bound moron staring gormlessly at the screen and not
> getting out much because most of his life is spent in this gormless state.

I'd love to try one of these myself. I keep seeing them on TV and Internet
videos. Earlier today I see the Wiimote used for interaction with Google
Earth. Its work that benefits from the wiili project... a Linux port/Live
CD... let me find it quickly...

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Google_Earth_interface_for_Wii_remote#c4245056

> I reccon that the PS3 had better come with at least as good a handset
> system or it will be in trouble. Because now that the gormless are out of
> those desk chairs and have realised that moving around can be fun, they are
> not likely to want to go back to them.

The handset and gear looks similar to that of the PS2, which was very
successful one might add. But people probably seek something that looks
/visually/ different. Just look at Vista/XP.

> Gads if it goes on like this I might be able to get the kids out playing
> football with me again instead of disapearing into the void that is their
> bedroom and coming out like cybermen, staring gormlessly ahead and seeming
> to have trouble stringing a sentance together.

Yes, there's a worrying trend which leads to social deficiencies and obesity.
I was probably becoming more chair-bound when I was older and games like
Warcraft and Doom came around.

> Well, me and the dog are a bit bored playing football on our own, ok ok I
> admit they have been a few accidents, but a football in the face teaches
> the kids the importance of ducking, plus the kids got a right ticking off
> because they got their clothes covered in mud, maybe my sister wouldn't
> have been quite so upset if I had told them to change out of their school
> clothes first. But still, they were getting air in their lungs and their
> bodies were learning how to heal cuts-n-bruises. Very educational I would
> have thought. So that's my story Judge Judy and I'm sticking to it.

I'd love to see her shouting at some of Microsoft's gang. Maybe one day...
maybe one day... Collin and Kroes were close, but they are no yelling
Judy...

> No offence meant to gormless morons in this post. I'll offend them properly
> in another post when I have more time.

Never heard the word "gormless" before...

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"