Re: [News] Making Linux Look Like Windows XP

  • Subject: Re: [News] Making Linux Look Like Windows XP
  • From: Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:22:21 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:45:34 -0600,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:15:35 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> What is Look XP
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| LXP is a project that provides to Linux/Unix users an identical ms
>>| WindowsXP look&feel desktop
>> `----
>>
>> http://lxp.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Seems like a new project. Probably a lot of violations therein. A bit like
>> that Linux XP desktop, as well as those which the Chinese government deploys
>> as it converts thousands of machines to Linux (reported earlier this year).
>
> It's hard to believe that so many people can be so dense.
>
> Yes, it looks superficially a lot like XP, but it doesn't ACT like XP.
> What's the point of only doing the job 10% of the way?

well, it's made a lot of folks in Redmond, a lot of money. So there's
something going for it.

Of course, this XP "lookalike" has things like sshfs built in,no
limitiations on the number of logins, or the number of machines you can
install on it. A centralized package management system far in advance of
the MS system.

110% more like...

Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done