Re: [News] Microsoft Will Never Reveal Which Applications Vista Breaks

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

<snip>

> Life with Vista - Is this dogfood really for the dogs?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | # Vista is not ready for primetime. By that I mean that Vista still
> | feels like a beta. That's right. It has so many compatibility
> | problems with existing applications that running anything other
> | than stuff from Microsoft that specifically says "for Vista Build
> | XXXX" makes me feel like I'm taking my life into my own hands.
> |
> |    1. Games - don't even get me started...
> |
> |    2. Visual Studio 2005 - I can't find the words to express the
> |    irony...
> |
> |    3. Virtual PC - worthless. Don't even attempt on Vista.
> `----
>
> http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com/vista_dogfood.htm

This is the irony of all the Vista articles I've seen; previously, MS was
slammed for the security problems in their OSen which stemmed from all the
things they did to maintain backwards compatibility with old, even ancient,
apps. Now that they've dumped most of that and at least had a go at a new
architecture, everyone slams them for their lack of backwards
compatibility. If I said I was saddened by this, I'd be lying. MS made
their bed, and now they're learning that the bed is quite cold and lumpy
when they have to lie in it.

<more snipped>
--
"This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is
not God who kills the children. Not Fate that butchers them or Destiny