Re: Refurbished Dell Linux Boxes (2.4 GHz) for $159

  • Subject: Re: Refurbished Dell Linux Boxes (2.4 GHz) for $159
  • From: "High Plains Thumper" <highplainsthumper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 12 Dec 2006 04:46:57 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> alt on Tuesday
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Dell OptiPlex GX260 SFF P4 2.4GHz 256MB 40GB No Operating System
>>>
>>> http://www.hcditrading.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2375435/vpcsid/0/
>>> SFV/29664/order/asc/order_by/sell_price
>>>
>>> It used to be $199 for a similar machine. Yet again, this makes one wonder
>>> about the disproportionate cost of Microsoft software and the cost of
>>> hardware.
>>
>> I didn't read the article, but based on your description, adding a little
>> bit more ram would make this a really great box.
>
> At home, I use KDE 3.4 with 256 MB of RAM and a 2.2 GHz processor. Works like
> a charm.

I now have a 2.93 GHz Celeron with 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9500 with 256
MB RAM, SoundBlaster Audigy card for Windows XP gaming.  Works like a
charm.    :-)

Now it boots up smoothly and quickly.

My 1.7 GHz Celeron with 512 MB RAM, nVidia MX440 video with 128 MB RAM,
SoundBlaster 16 card took a while for disk to grind before completing
boot and login.  SuSE 10.1 Open and Debian was quicker.

It goes to show the differences in comparison.  Symantec Antivirus and
personal firewall added to the overhead.

Should I give a benchmark comparison between XP and Debian 2.6 kernel
on those systems, or would I be violating an EULA with the benchmark?
 :-)

--
HPT