Re: [News] Cities in Holland Release Formal Document Favouring Open Source Software

  • Subject: Re: [News] Cities in Holland Release Formal Document Favouring Open Source Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:09:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Matt ] on Monday 11 December 2006 01:55 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Eight large Dutch cities issue statement in favor open source solutions.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Eight large cities in the Netherlands have issued a public
>> | statement underlining the principles behind their desire to use
>> | open source software and open document standards. These include
>> | supplier independence, interoperability and future accessibility
>> | and maintenance by other suppliers.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.ososs.nl/attachment.db?63959 (PDF, in Dutch)
>
> Here is the babelfish translation of the above pdf:
>
>> Babel Fish Translation       Help
>>
>> In English:
>> Manifest of the ` open municipalities 6 December 2006 at this manifest
>> involved municipalities, or in the drawing up or by later onderschrijving
>> of it, are attached openness strongly in their ICT strategy to the
>> following four elements of: supplier independence Solutions can be
>> maintained by more parties. Solutions can work on several platforms.
>> Transparency, verifiability and control satisfy the functioning of
>> solutions are transparent to the legal provisions of the WBP, to carry out
>> audits and for monitoring of the data protection. Interoperability
>> Pakketonafhankelijke links and open standards according to the OSOSS
>> definition in scopes such as text far worker, mail, middleware, agenda and
>> geographical computer systems. Digital sustainability can maintain
>> solutions to become by others then first supplier and is space for later
>> innovation there. The fact rise occurs in toekomstvast format. The
>> programme OSOSS subscribes to to these elements if important properties to
>> love
> sufficient freedom as a user systems and as a government justification
> finished to be able lay concerning policy and implementation. The ` open
> municipalities ask their suppliers emphasis these wishes take into account
> because they determine always part of invitation to tender procedures, also
> at outsourcing. The following municipalities subscribe to this manifest: ·
> municipality almere · municipality Assen · municipality end courts ·
> municipality enschede · municipality groningen · municipality Haarlem ·
> municipality lion ears · municipality nijmegen manifest ` open
> municipalities; version December 2006

http://digg.com/software/Eight_large_Dutch_cities_issue_statement_in_favor_open_source_solutions

Thanks for that. Here's a followup thread which contains some more...

Large Dutch cities supporting open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Arthur Buijs from the Dutch OpenOffice.org community just pointed me
| to this Dutch article. According to the article, a number of large
| Dutch cities including Almere, Assen, Eindhoven, Enschede,
| Groningen, Haarlem, Leeuwarden and Nijmegen have decided to
| support open source. The article says that the cities are
| interested in open source because Microsoft software is being
| perceived as expensive and the software does not not work well
| together with competitive products on other platforms.
|
| [...]
|
| Here is the full article: A large number of big cities don't want
| to be dependent of Microsoft anymore. Together they have 1.2 million
| inhabitants. They demand open source software from their suppliers.
| Almost all desktops run Microsoft Windows and also have word
| processors and spreadsheets made by the American software giant
| installed. It has been some time that counties - and not only in
| the Netherlands - try to be less dependent of Microsoft. For some
| time there have been very good alternative programs. Some are even
| free of charge. In real life, they are rarely used because
| ict-companies do not support them. Attempts to force them have run
| into problems with European legislation. Eight large Dutch counties
| have now taken the first step by publishing a manifest calling on
| ict-companies to support open source. In fact Almere, Assen,
| Eindhoven, Enschede, Groningen, Haarlem, Leeuwarden and Nijmegen are
| giving a message to these suppliers, saying they don't stand a chance
| getting major orders if they don't comply. Some of these counties
| have already dumped their suppliers for that reason. The software
| of Microsoft - and some other leading (database) companies - is not
| only expensive. Another problem is that their data is not exchangable
| with competitors programs. These software giants also invent new
| standards, forcing their clients to buy new software and convert
| their data to those new standards. Dutch government promotes the
| use of open standards and open source by their Ososs program. A
| spokesman of Ososs says the action of these counties is a true
| breakthrough for open source software.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/large_dutch_cities_supporting_open

I didn't realise that Babelfish does Dutch. I used to use it before Google
Translation was a single click away (GoogleBar). I thought English-Dutch was
the impossible translation route, but it's actually Danish that's/was hard
to find translator for.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
  6:05am  up 53 days 16:19,  8 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.33, 0.60