Re: [News] Serious Vista Bugs Begin to Emerge

  • Subject: Re: [News] Serious Vista Bugs Begin to Emerge
  • From: Brett Ryan <bsryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:20:57 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Windows Vista's Hideous Wakeup Support

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing we just can't wrap our mind about is the terrible,
| broken, and completely pitiful support for waking Vista up from
| a Deep Sleep or hibernation.' Any time you attempt to wake Vista
| up from Hibernation or "Deep Sleep" (S3-induced sleep mode), it
| dies. It's either a BSOD, or a driver error, or a broken network,
| no DWM, lack of sound... the list goes on, and on. So much for an
| operating system to "power" the future! (No pun intended!) That's
| with properly-signed drivers and no buggy software on
| multiple PCs...
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/299

Also today:

TI won't rush into Microsoft Vista readily

,----[ Quote ]
| Corporate American, no, make that corporate everywhere is treating Vista
| like a dead animal found in the woods, they will poke it with a stick,
| but there is no way they will take it home. Take TI for instance, it
| is not going to touch the wonder OS for another two years or so.

I don't see TI moving to Vista soon. They are in the process of upgrading to new Dell's with XP. Moving such a large business to Vista, or any other non-standard operating system with out testing and proper tools would be foolish. This is nothing special. Same thing happened when Win 3.1 came out, then again when Win-95, then Win-NT, and Win-2k.

You will find that many of the major Fortune 500's tend to be quite conservative when it comes to IT infrastructure. After all, the business DEPENDS upon these systems for countless tasks.

Now the real question will be 12 to 18 months from Vista's release. After all the testing, debugging, and porting of specialty applications that a company requires to run its operations. Will this happen or will Microsoft's new baby die in the crib due to it being either insecure or unable to run on "reasonable" hardware, or it breaking too many custom applications, or the impact of all three feared short commings. I have a feeling that it is at least 60% likely that this product will fail. Vista is MS listening to Hollywood, the entertainment business, it's own accountants, but not the customers, be they business or consumer.

This will be fun.

Brett