[News] Binary Drivers Debate in Ubuntu and Sabayon Linux

To binary or not to binary, that is the question

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu developers are in the process of deciding whether
| to enable binary-only drivers by default in their installation
| process, under certain limited circumstances. This decision
| process has prompted the latest wave in a conversation that's
| nearly as old as Linux itself.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/12/binary_drivers.html

Sabayon are also pretty much in violation of the GPL...

Yes, we include proprietary drivers, so ?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the first RR4 releases, called "Gentoo Rescue Reiser4 LiveCD",
| I included NVIDIA and ATI proprietary drivers. Two years are past
| since then, and no one never complained about that. But now, I
| read that many people say that's a GPL violation. I do not agree
| with them. They argue that linking a non-GPL kernel module against
| the Linux Kernel before distributing it, is illegal.
`----

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=205&Itemid=2

Also see:

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=258&Itemid=2