Re: Official PlayStation 3 Linux Now a Free Download

While taking a break from performing an interpretive dance of 'Flight of
the Bumble Bee', Larry Qualig  wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Yellow Dog Linux free version officially released!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | All those who've just got a PS3 for Christmas and are thinking of
>> | installing Fedora Core, stop! Terrasoft has released the free version
>> | of Yellow Dog Linux. While you might be wondering that Fedora Core is
>> | much more popular, I'd advise you to go with Yellow Dog Linux because
>> | it is based on Fedora Core itself. Secondly, and much more importantly,
>> | it is very much optimised for the PS3, since it's specially made
>> | for it.
>> `----
>>
>> http://ps3.qj.net/Yellow-Dog-Linux-free-version-officially-released-/pg/49/aid/77583
>>
>> I have been reading about PS3 Linux. Many (most?) people installed Linux on
>> their PS3 over Christmas (it's free, so why not?).
>
> This should read:
> "A few (very few?) people installed Linux on their PS3 over Christmas
> (it's free, so why not?)."
>
> The fact remains that the PS3 is a gaming console that gamers buy to
> play games on. If the PS2 is any indicator, very few will be converted
> to Linux boxes.
>

>> The PS3 could reach over 100 million houses within a few years, unless the
>> Wii (which also can run Linux) steals the show.
>
> So what? The original XBox and PS2 can also run Linux. Yet the number
> of people running Linux on a GAMING CONSOLE is negligible.

Yeah, 'cept one problem Larry.
I'm own a PS2 and yes it does make a fine game system. Have I ever run
Linux on it. Nope. Why not? It didn't come with a hard drive and the cost
that Sony was asking for a hard drive and Linux to go with it, just didn't
appeal to me.
The PS3 on the other hand has a hard drive built in and unlike the PS2 is
very accepting of Linux. So, this summer, when I buy a PS3 you sure can
bet that I'll be installing Linux on to it.

--
Bobbie the Triple Killer
http://members.shaw.ca/bobbie4/index.htm

email Bobbie @ bobbie4R3MOV3TH1S@xxxxxxx