Re: Distro for Exit-level PC

  • Subject: Re: Distro for Exit-level PC
  • From: "Bill W. Gator" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:46:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 29 December 2006 23:54 \__

> On Friday 29 December 2006 23:39 Bill Gates wrote:
>

>> B Gruff wrote:
>>> Come on you guys - what can I use?
>>>
>>> I have a load of junk here that's going to the local tip in a couple of
>>> days.  From it (remains of 3 old PCs) I can salvage:-
>>>
>>> - a desktop case, PSU, floppy, CD readers
>>> - several disks, 8GB and 16GB
>>> - 2 identical mobos
>>> - two CPUs with fans, 200Mhz and 233Mhz
>>> - total of 128MB RAM
>>> - PCI graphics card, 64MB (and a couple of very old ones)
>>> - 10/100 ethernet card
>>> - 17" LCD (CRTs are going to tip)
>>>
>>> In short, I can make up a 233Mhz 128MB machine, with some spares.
>>>
>>> What can I run as a Linux distro on it?
>>
>> Forget some crud linux distro. Wait and put Vista on the machine. With
>> Vista this machine would run 10 times better than some rubbish linux
>> distro.
>
> Ah - right - yes - I never thought of that.....
> .... now let me see, the price tag would be......?
>
> ... and there was me thinking Puppy or knoppix or such.....

*LMOA* Puppy? Knoppix?

Is one child suppored to hand-crank it while the other tries to type in a
document?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/30/gates-proposes-cellphones-as-alternative-to-olpc/

Please ignore this article. I have changed my mind since then. The OLPC is
great. It just need to run Vista and we ambitiously work on it. Must steal
the thunder from those commies...