Re: [News] Linux Torvalds Celebrates Birthday

__/ [ Mark Dodel ] on Friday 29 December 2006 14:10 \__

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:15:24 UTC, Ian Semmel
> <rocketLinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> ->
> -> OS2/Warp was a lemon and committed hari-kari.
> ->
> -> Like linux, there were no commercial apps *or hardly any) written for
> it. ->
>
> Every ATM ran OS/2.  If that isn't commercial I don't know what is.
> Most still do and the ones they replaced with weenieDOS require a
> Linux firewall to keep out all the trojans.  Something that was never
> a problem for OS/2, despite the fact that almost every financial
> institution ran both their frontend and backend with OS/2.  If that
> wasn't a ripe target for hackers I don't know what is.  I guess it is
> just so much easier for the script-kiddies to write viruses for
> windoze.
>
> Also many manufacturing systems and large scale accounting systems
> were and many still are OS/2 based.  And every mainframe from IBM
> requires OS/2 to boot strap itself.  But you didn't really mean
> commercial applications did you?
>
> As to consumer apps (which is probably what you really meant) there
> were plenty including Word, Excel and all the Lotus products as well
> as incredible products that are OS/2 only like Mesa2, ProNews/2 and
> PMMail and others.  There were even games like Doom and one of the
> best selling games of the 90's Stardock's Galactic Civilization which
> prompted millions to buy OS/2 Warp just to run the game.   And of
> course OS/2 ran win16 apps better than windows ever did.  And now
> there is OpenOffice.org and all the Mozilla apps for OS/2 and
> eComStation, so it is still a very useful platform.  And no need for
> AV or spyware software here.

The other day, I read something which suggested that Doom was originally
created for OS/2.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
Cpu(s):  21.4% user,   3.0% system,   1.1% nice,  74.6% idle