[News] Wikipedia-like Search Engines Chooses Open Source Software

Wikipedia like search engine to use Apache Lucene - Nutch

,----[ Quote ]
| The search engine, code-named Wikiasari, would combine open source
| technology and human intervention to deliver more relevant results
| than the algorithm-based systems used today, Wales said Tuesday.
| "Human intelligence is still the best thing we have, so let's let
| humans do what they do best, and computers do what they do best."
|
| Wales says that the reason for Wikiasari is that search as we know
| it is broken: "It is broken for the same reason that proprietary
| software is always broken: lack of freedom, lack of community,
| lack of accountability, lack of transparency."
`----

http://www.indicthreads.com/news/1062/wikipedia_search_engine_apache_lucene_nutch.html

Context:

Wikipedia-based Search Engine: Exclusive Screenshot

,----[ Quote of a quote]
| Google is very good at many types of search, but in many instances
| it produces nothing but spam and useless crap. Try searching for
| the term 'Tampa hotels', for example, and you will not get any
| useful results... Essentially, if you consider one of the basic
| tasks of a search engine, it is to make a decision: 'this page is
| good, this page sucks....'
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/12/23/wikipedia-to-launch-searchengine-exclusive-screenshot/

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.wikipedia.org