[News] Wintel Gets BUSTED (Antitrust)

AMD claims key victory in Intel antitrust suit

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD filed suit against Intel in June 2005, charging Intel with
| employing anticompetitive practices in the sale of PC chips.
| Intel has denied the charges.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7b4FC79547-9443-4262-BF1E-5AFC9FCDB046%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/ynfnkz

AMD says court seeks data from Intel in antitrust case

,----[ Quote ]
| Chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. said a U.S.
| federal court had overruled Intel Corp.'s
| objections in an ongoing antitrust litigation.
|
| The court has ordered Intel to produce documents and other
| evidence bearing upon its "exclusionary conduct" outside
| United States, AMD said in a statement.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/061228/amd_lawsuit_intel.html?.v=1

Background and context:

Court tells Intel to hand over foreign documents in antitrust case

,----[ Quote ]
| In June 2005, AMD filed a massive antitrust lawsuit against Intel, accusing
| the larger CPU maker of abusing its dominant position in the worldwide PC
| market to prevent AMD's CPUs from making significant inroads. The suit
| alleges that Intel customers like Toshiba, Gateway, Dell, Hitachi, and
| others agreed to exclusive deals with Intel in exchange for "cash payments,
| discriminatory pricing or marketing subsidies conditioned on the exclusion
| of AMD."

Comes v. MS Antitrust Trial Begins in Iowa

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's part of what Allchin said about how to deal with the competitive
| threat from Novell then:
|
| "We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger....If you're
| going to kill someone, there isn't much reason to get all worked up
| about it and angry. You just pull the trigger. Any discussions
| beforehand are a waste of time. We need to smile at Novell while
| we pull the trigger."
|
| [...]
|
| Conlin used a variety of computer-generated illustrations,
| including one that showed 15 icons, each representing what she
| said was an illegal action taken by Microsoft in pursuit of its
| bid to become and remain a monopoly. The icons had titles like
| "exclusionary contract," "technical sabotage," "buying out the
| competitition"...
`----

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]