Re: Linux still firmly at zero percent...

  • Subject: Re: Linux still firmly at zero percent...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:26:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Bobbie ] on Thursday 28 December 2006 15:03 \__

http://whitepapers.zdnet.com/whitepaper.aspx?&scname=Accounting+Applications&docid=258515

> But you knew that already didn't you?

Jupiter's (principal/only?) analyst has taken over MicrosoftWatch.com. I
don't know if he's an exception or the oddball in the group. He gets
constant accusations that all his items/posts are not news (Jo Foley used to
do this). Instead, he posts fanboyish raves that favour Microsoft and at
times directly bashed GNU/Linux (haven't seen as many Mac bashing yet). Many
people unsubsribed from the site as a result.

More information:

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/microsoft_calls_on_geek_squad.html

Ghandi_Khan :

When did Microsoft start paying your salary? Every article you've recently
submitted is extolling the virtues of MS. Your opinion seems to be that MS
can do no wrong, although they have done very little right lately. While MS
isn't evil incarnate, you can spare the world your platitudes to them. Save
them for fan mail. For the love of all that's holy, write about something
else. Else people like me are going to take your off our bookmarks list.

Posted by Ghandi_Khan | December 18, 2006 4:22 PM
Ghandi_Khan :

that should have read, "your site off our bookmark's list."

Posted by Ghandi_Khan | December 18, 2006 4:43 PM
Roy Schestowitz :

@ Ghandi_Khan : I fully agree with you. I am disappointed to put Jupiter
alongside Gartner, IDC, Yakee Group, and NPD now...

This blog used to be less biased.

Also see:

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

Posted by Roy Schestowitz | December 19, 2006 12:54 AM
KC :

Yeah, I'm guessing they got a new kool-aid supplier at MS Watch.

Posted by KC | December 19, 2006 12:59 PM
Ted Roche :

"I challenge any normal mortal to quickly and efficiently install wireless
drivers on notebooks running Linux. Free software=you get what you pay for.
If you pay nothing, well..."

Totally off-base, Joe, and you're showing some pretty incredible ignorance
here. An Ubuntu CD is all I've needed to get a couple of ThinkPads up and
running. If "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch," then maybe the
internet ought to stop running BIND and 60% of the internet stop running
Apache. Free software is based on a gifting economy. It might be better to
ask what you are giving up by paying for software you don't get read the
code for, and need to agree to an onerous EULA.

It's true that there are some proprietary hardware vendors that are unwilling
to share the details of how to drive their devices with open source
software. That's the vendors fault, not Open Source's.

You're better than this, Joe.

======

Also in the press:

Mark Mulligan, an analyst from Jupiter Research, said: "I think Microsoft
will be putting tools into place to close the hole - they are the big gorilla
of the digital media space - whenever they develop a piece of technology
people try to hack it and crack it.

"They have good systems in place to dynamically update their system to make
sure holes are filled."

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Disclaimer: no SCO code used to generate this post
Cpu(s):  21.3% user,   3.0% system,   1.1% nice,  74.6% idle