[News] Barrier to Open Source/Linux Adoption is Understanding & Microsoft Lobbying, Not Readiness

Philippine SMEs Still Unaware of How to Benefit from Open Source Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source software (OSS) may be gaining popularity in the Philippines,
| but many small business owners are still unaware of how this technology
| can impact and improve their businesses.
`----

http://www.fastpitchnetworking.com/pressrelease.cfm?PRID=2273

Related:

Microsoft is lobbying in the Philippines.

FOSS Bill Listed For First Public Hearing

,----[ Quote ]
| Listed for November 15th, the hearing by The Committee on Information and
| Communications Technology has invited comment from various stakeholders
| potentially affected by the bill, including community representatives as
| well as industry giants Microsoft and Oracle.
`----                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.localfoss.org/Philippino_FOSS_Bill_Public_Hearing

Report: The Business of Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| In his Nov. 21 column, Conrado Banal said I did not really author the
| bill "Free/Open Source Act of 2006" now pending in Congress. And
| quoting the Business Software Alliance (BSA), he also derided the
|             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| bill as a "prime model of confusion."
|
| Let me assure him that I authored the bill. My office worked on it for
| four months. It started with a suggestion from FOSS (free/open
| source software) advocates in the Computer Professionals Union
| (CPU). Modeled after the Brazil and Peru FOSS policies, it is the
| result of inputs from various geeks, techies and FOSS
| practitioners--from my two staff who happen to be competent IT
| professionals, IT lawyers in the UP College of Law, members of
| the Philippine Linux Users Group (PLUG), GNU/Linux guru and
| prime advocate Richard Stallman of the MIT-based Free Software
| Foundation, who personally e-mailed his very valuable comments.
| It also contains inputs from the government?s Commission on
| Information and Communications Technology and the International
| Open Source Network of the UNDP.
`----

http://business.inq7.net/money/topstories/view_article.php?article_id=36605

This came after the government pursued Linux and Open Source.

RP Open Source confab: It's time to make the rules

,----[ Quote ]
| After years of breaking the rules in the computing world, it?s now time for
| open source to make the rules.
|
| [...]
|
| Right now, there's tremendous opportunity for Filipinos with open
| source skills since 67 percent of servers used in the Internet is based
| on open source technology.
|
| "But we'd also like to emphasize that we?re not against any
| software company," Contreras said. "What we?re saying is that with
| open source, companies now have an option to choose."
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO2006092575370.html

The Open Source Bill

,----[ Quote ]
| "This act shall be known as the "Free/Open Source Software (FOSS)
| Act of 2006"
`----

http://www.chinwong.com/Documents/FOSS_bill_draft_.pdf

More schools take to open source