[News] Despite Marketing Onslaugt, Microsoft Only Sells Half the XBoxes It Promised to Sell

Predictions, predcitions... but whose predictions? And why were these falsely
reported as news in mainstream media?

Xbox sales cross 9 Million Mark

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a piece in Nintendojo, the Xbox 360 has made it to the
| 9 million mark, while Wii is enjoying nearly 2 million in sales
| during its short history. Sony trails way behind with an estimated
| 800,000 consoles sold, which is very likely a generous estimation.
`----

http://www.mygamingden.com/2006/12/27/Xbox-sales-cross-9-Million-Mark.html

Context:

Microsoft's Xbox 360 US sales-NPD story withdrawn

,----[ Quote ]
| The Los Angeles story headlined "Microsoft's Xbox 360 US sales
| top first Xbox--NPD" is withdrawn because the data supporting the
| story may be inaccurate. Reuters is waiting for an update from the
| company. A new story may be issued.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061208:MTFH45656_2006-12-08_01-12-52_N07221320&type=comktNews&rpc=44

This story quoted the number 10 million, before it was removed.

NY Times rattles IT industry with analyst ban

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking of which, let's see what triggered the Enderle/Microsoft
| ban.
|
| In a story about Microsoft's XBox, Enderle described the direct
| relationship between the game console, download services and the TV.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/12/analyst_nytimes/

Microsoft Press Releases: Read Between the Lines

,----[ Quote ]
| We have a game we play around the office here with Microsoft press
| releases. The game is called Find the words that make the headline
| true. It's not always easy.
|
| [...]
|
| Our point: Microsoft has a long history of using press releases top
| romote their product momentum in shall we say interesting ways,
| using words like "fastest growing" (meaning, the number we started
| with was really really small) to redefining words such as "sold."
| It's not good marketing practice. Why? Because once consumers and
| press people figure out you are playing lawyer, they stop believing
| you and your brand. And that's more likely to do you harm than good.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061211/22190_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft Xbox to Join the Battle for Video Downloading

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50713F83A5B0C748CDDA80994DE404482
http://tinyurl.com/y3avsv