Re: [News] No Vapourware from Linux This Year

On 2006-12-27, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> __/ [ Handover Phist ] on Wednesday 27 December 2006 19:55 \__

>>> ! Warning: The Content in this Article May be Inaccurate
>>> Readers have reported that this story contains information that may not be
>>> accurate.
>>
>> From the source: http://blogs.msdn.com/winfs/
>>
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> Is WinFS dead?
>> Yes and No. Yes, we are not going to ship WinFS as a separate,
>> monolithic software component. But the answer is also No - the vision
>> remains alive and we are moving the technology forward. A lot of the
>> technology really was database stuff and were putting that
>> into SQL and ADO. But some of the technology, especially the end user
>> value points, are not ready, and were going to continue to work on
>> that in incubation. Some or all of these technologies may be used by
>> other Microsoft products going forward.
>>
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> So, WinFS is not going to ship, but the devs are still playing with it.
>> In my book it's still very close to vapourware status.
>
> I could have cited anything and the choice was not deliberate. In any event,
> WinFS is one among many components which Longhorn was supposed to have and
> began conceding, just around/shortly before the time it got scraped. I can
> recall an article from Dvorak (PCMag, almost surely) where he mentioned a
> coversation that he has over lunch, with a Microsoft executives.
>
> All 4 of Longhorn's main pillars were dropped. This was pretty much confirmed
> at that point. Deadlines were being ignored (eventually extended and bended
> like 5 times).
>
> Sadly, by this stage, not many people even recall or are familiar with these
> pillars. Aero Glass is no advancement. It's eye candy (or gown, artwork).
> Various USB features aren't groundbreaking either. All of these are minor
> tweaks and addons, some/many of which replace third-party (usually free)
> addons that are available for Win9/MEx, Win2000, and WinXP. The foundation
> of that O/S--that which developers cannot peneatrate--is merely unchanged.
> In other words, Microsoft took other people's ideas (stole food out of their
> months), just like Apple.
>
> Many of Vista's features can be obtained and installed in Windows XP, visual
> aspects included. Other 'features' such as DRM are Vista-only, so informed
> customers won't jump on the Vista bandwagon any time soon. Not even good
> security will be offered and it's finally proven. Even Joe Bloggs who reads
> the daily paper will have seen the article about the exploits by the end of
> this holiday season.

And the four dropped pillars is what I cite when my customers ask if
they should switch to Vista. I have found something interesting, it's
the IT managers who are the best informed who are trying out Linux in
their systems right now, and the end consumer is really the only one
looking at Vista. Those end consumers look to people like me for advice,
and the people like me are saying "dont do it".

I'm quite curious to see what happens in the market over the next two
years. I predict a large part of Redmond will get laid off in 2009.

--
You should all JUMP UP AND DOWN for TWO HOURS while I decide on a NEW CAREER!!

http://www.websterscafe.com