Re: Open Source 3-D NVIDIA Drivers in the Works

begin  oe_protect.scr
Brandon J. Van Every <SeaFuncSpam@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Nouveau: A First Look
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | So when will the Nouveau driver be ready? The Wiki states that the
>> | project should be mostly usable in autumn 2007. Keith Packard had
>> | previously expressed hope that the driver would be ready in time
>> | for the X.Org 7.3 release.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=614&num=1
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> ...pledge at least $10 USD towards the development of the open source nouveau
>> driver for the nvidia card series...
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | For the longest time nvidia have failed to provide specifications
>> | for their hardware or a working free accelerated 3d driver for
>> | inclusion with X.org. Thus leaving the many users of their
>> | videocards on popular UN*X systems such as Linux with only the
>> | option of using a 2d only driver or using nvidia' notorious
>> | proprietary driver.
>> |
>> | With the advent of technological improvements to the underlying
>> | system to allow desktop effects this leaves a great number of users
>> | out in the cold. A project does exists to reverse engineer a driver
>> | for the existing nvidia cards, however this is a hard task which
>> | will require many man hours to complete. Thus the aim to present
>> | the Nouveau team with this no strings attached donation of at least
>> | $10.000 USD to further their nobel effort in developing this driver.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.pledgebank.com/nouveaudriver
>

> That's an interesting business model.  I wonder if it can ever possibly
> work?  $10K is not much money to a USA developer, compared to
> commercial salaries.

How do you think many projects survive?  It's precisely through such
donations, which allow purchase of suitable equipment and so on.  You
need to look very hard indeed at how free software development has
happened over the last 15 years plus.

I recall many postings like yours claiming that GUIs would never be
written - they were quite wrong too.  They used all the arguments you've
used, though, including "it's not interesting enough", "it's just
idealism", "how can anyone live off this", "it'll put developers out of
a job".  They were all wrong then, and they're still wrong now.

"Elvis is my copilot."
-- Cal Keegan