Re: [News] Web Browsing (and Linux) Coming to the Sofa

"Maverick" <Sun@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Maverick ] on Friday 22 December 2006 23:51 \__

>> http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2006/12/super-nintendo-emulator-running-on-ps3.html
>>
>>>How much faster does the YellowDog Linux run a PS3 as compared to a Core
>>>2 Duo?
>>

>> It's not faster. Yet. I think they need to redo gcc for Cell. They can't
>> quite squeeze all the power out of the workhorse, _yet_. Speed evolves
>> (is
>> improved), not only ease of use (Terrasoft have begun taking orders for
>> PS3's with Linux reinstalled). That's what I could gather from stuff I
>> had
>> read anyway...
>>

> Strange then that Sony could have done a better cost deal with Intel or
> AMD rather than IBMs costly Cell if that is the case.

Costly?   Sony's cost is about $89 for each Cell CPU.   They could have but
they wanted to try to have a better hack proof system,  remember how long it
took the hackers to get into Xbox?

Cost break down of the PS3...
http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919