Re: Unbelievable ...

  • Subject: Re: Unbelievable ...
  • From: Richard Rasker <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 22:36:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Op Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:28:54 +0000, schreef Roy Schestowitz:

> __/ [ Richard Rasker ] on Thursday 21 December 2006 20:14 \__

[snip D-Link idiots]

> Heh. Don't believe it 'till you see it. This afternoon a friend of mine sent
> this latest weird discovery.
>
> http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2006/12/11/xara-xtreme-pro-crippled.html
>
> You can only draw if you have sufficient rights
>
> 'A vector drawing program that requires Administrator rights to even make a
> simple drawing, would you call that Xtreme? Well Xara LTD seems to have no
> problem at all releasing such software, and even call it "Xtreme Pro".'

Apart from this insanity there's one line that especially drew my
attention:

 "when I read the new features ... I couldn't resist and paid by credit
  card for an update hoping that this issue got finally fixed in the Pro
  version of Xara Xtreme."

That's the typical way of Windows users: whip out the old credit card and
pay for an upgrade in the - usually vain - hope that some major problem
has been fixed. And they're disappointed *every* *single* *time*. Yet
still they keep paying for upgrades, hoping that their problems /will/ be
fixed this time round. No go, of course.

Now compare this to my experience with Kino, a very nice, simple video
editor, and the Kino mailing list. Dan Dennedy is one of the main
contributors of Kino. This is what happened when I stumbled upon an
annoying little problem I had:

[Dec 02, 20:18] Me: "Um, I want to export DV to my DVD/HD recorder, but
   Kino only exports to devices which send back AV/Control information (DV
   cams). Can this be fixed?" (Shortened interpretation for brevity.)
[Dec 03, 01:36] Dan Dennedy: "OK, I understand. Currently, when using
   iec61883/raw1394, Kino assumes that if it can not identify an AV/C
   device, then there is nothing to send to or capture from. Well,
   actually, it uses the selected device to identify which firewire
   controller interface to use (more than one is not uncommon nowadays).
   However, I think it would be a good fallback to try to just use first
   interface. I applied this change to CVS as of ChangeLog,v 1.284.
   Please try it."

So I want some handy feature, and hey presto! Less than six hours after I
ask for it I have it! And this is by no means the first time this sort of
thing happened.

I really feel sorry for all those suckers paying in vain for crappy
commercial rubbish (and over and over again, for that matter), hoping that
this time, things will finally get better - yet they never do.

> I keep telling his to migrate to Linux. He was on the verge of picking
> Ubuntu. He used to do a lot of RISCOS and GNU.

Perhaps showing him this little wonderful eXPerience of mine may help
him across the threshold.

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/