Re: [News] 25 Reasons to Moves to Linux (CRN Article with Annotation)

  • Subject: Re: [News] 25 Reasons to Moves to Linux (CRN Article with Annotation)
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:43:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 21 December 2006 07:36 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Dr. GroundAxe <groundaxe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> LOL, that old chestnut.
>>
>> Indeed, although Roy is not correct here.  Linux will still run in 8
>> Mbytes of Ram, if you choose the right distro.
>

> The comments were made by Ravi actually.

My apologies - I should've read more carefully!

>> Trying to run even Win2k in 128M to /do/ anything is painful in the
>> extreme, so lord knows just how dreadful Vista would be.
>

> Seen it on XP. Absolutely fine.... if you run Solitaire, never run AV
> software and never get infected by rootkits/Trojans/viruses/malware either.

It's the AV software which is the real killer, in my WINdows eXPerience.
It wants to check every file touched by every executable, so you get all
kinds of weird effects, like firefox with a lot of plugins and a large
cache which you don't clean on exit taking forever to load, why?  So
that the AV software can check every single one of possibly thousands of
cached documents against a database of thousands of cached signatures.
You don't need a calculator to determine what happens...

My Linux eXPerience, however, is quite different and significantly more
positive.  No AV software, so no slowdown in the first place.

To be beautiful is enough! if a woman can do that well who should demand
more from her?  You don't want a rose to sing.
		-- Thackeray